UAB graduate and professional programs are well represented in the annual U.S. News & World Report rankings.
graduate and professional programs at the University of Alabama at Birmingham continue to showcase the strength in curriculum offered across the institution’s renowned academic campus.As reflected in past and current U.S. News & World Report graduate school rankings,
UAB programs in the schools of Health Professions, Nursing, Engineering, Education, Business and Public Health and the College of Arts and Sciences are highly ranked in the 2024 U.S. News Best Graduate School Rankings. The full rankings are available online at www.usnews.com.
“This year’s rankings reflect the continued commitment of UAB faculty and staff to developing and expanding our world-class academic programs,” said UAB President Ray L. Watts. “The competitiveness of these programs continues to attract talented students and faculty to our campus and builds upon UAB’s reputation for excellence around the nation and the globe.”
One UAB program, the Master’s in Health Administration in the School of Health Professions, received the No. 1 ranking as best in the country. The school’s Physician Assistant Studies program ranked No. 8, with the Master’s in Healthcare Quality and Safety program ranking No. 11.
Of main rankings included in this year’s report — curated from data submitted by schools, quality assessment from peers and professionals, and publicly available data — UAB programs stood out from four schools, including:
- The School of Nursing Master of Science in Nursing program is ranked No. 10, the second time the MSN program has been in the top 10. Additionally, the school’s Doctor of Nursing Practice program is ranked No. 13, the highest DNP ranking since at least 2019.
- UAB’s Graduate Part-Time Master of Business Administration program in the Collat School of Business came in at No. 89, the highest-ranked Alabama school acknowledged.
- The School of Education’s Graduate Education program was recognized as No. 99, in line with peer institutions.
- The School of Engineering’s Graduate Engineering program held its best rank in 18 years, at No. 112.
Specialty rankings recognized in the 2024 report highlighted UAB’s variety in program offerings across graduate schools on campus:
School of Nursing
- 4: DNP Nurse Administration/Management
- 5: DNP Nurse Leadership
- 6: DNP Nurse Practitioner: Adult Gerontology Acute Care
- 7: MSN Nurse Practitioner: Adult Gerontology Acute Care
- 7: MSN Nurse Practitioner: Adult Gerontology Primary Care
- 7: MSN Nurse Practitioner: Family
- 7: DNP Nurse Practitioner: Family
- 8: MSN Nurse Administration/Management
School of Engineering
- 64: Biomedical Engineering
- 77: Material Engineering
- 126: Computer Engineering
- 133: Civil Engineering
- 138: Mechanical Engineering
School of Public Health
- 15: Health Policy and Management
- 17: Epidemiology
- 19: Biostatistics
College of Arts and Sciences
- 67: Public Affairs
- 117: Mathematics
- 120: Computer Science, doctoral
- 136: Chemistry, doctoral
- 152: Physics, doctoral
Each year, U.S. News ranks professional school programs in business, education, engineering and nursing, including specialties in each area. The rankings in these areas are based on two types of data: expert opinions about program excellence, and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school’s faculty, research and students.