Having been sat in Game Preview form for a little while, the Humble Games and Bounding Box Software teams have finally seen fit to bring the boom, launching Prodeus to Xbox, Game Pass, PlayStation and PC in 1.0 form. You’ll find the Nintendo Switch drop has been delayed a little though.
Due to visual oddities, the Nintendo Switch edition of Prodeus has been pushed back by those behind it, as they get to grips with delivering the finest version of Prodeus that they possibly can. But thankfully those issues don’t affect the Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 or PC versions, as the game breaks away from those early access foundations to release in full today.
A first person shooter, Prodeus promises to be extremely action-packed, full of new techniques and technology, complete with a hand-crafted campaign that has been put together by those who know how to do such a thing.
Yep, a full team of FPS veterans is behind Prodeus and they’ve come together to deliver that campaign, some cooperative action, competitive multiplayer and the chance to amend things as you see fit with an integrated level editors; at least the latter is available should you be on PC.
Mostly though, Prodeus looks to bring the boom, with the on-screen action helped along by a supercharged metal soundtrack, composed by Andrew Hulshult who was previously behind the musical power of DOOM Eternal.
In all, key features include:
- RETRO LOOK, MODERN ERA – Shooters past and present collide with graphics that combine today’s high-quality 3D tech with retro visuals. Experience over-the-top explosions of lo-fi pixels and hi-tech particle effects as you clash against the Prodeans and forces of Chaos.
- PURE RETRO FPS CHAOS – Steel yourself for fast and frantic nonstop action. Blast and blaze your way through hordes of chaos-spawned creatures using an arsenal of classically over-the-top weapons.
- RAINING RED – Splatter the steel walls and alien halls with the blood of your enemies. Experience the gory thrills of the elder shooters, dialed up to 11 thanks to Prodeus’s delightfully demented dismemberment system.
- COMMUNITY-CRAFTED LEVELS – Unleash your inner map designer with Prodeus’s powerful but easy-to-use level editor*, and keep the visceral combat fresh with a built-in browser filled with community-created maps.
- MULTIPLAYER MAYHEM – Team up and go head-to-head in a variety of multiplayer modes. Take on the campaign in 4-player co-op, and dive into the fray in 16-player Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF, and more—then take things to the next level by creating and sharing custom game modes.
- FRAG TO THE MUSIC – Burst blood vessels listening to a supercharged metal soundtrack by retro FPS composer Andrew Hulshult (DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods, Dusk, Amid Evil) that dynamically changes gears to accompany your actions.
We’ll be runnnig a full review of Prodeus on Xbox Series X|S as soon as we can, but for now you can grab the game from the usual digital stores – the Xbox Store being one of them. Whether you pay the cash or utilise Game Pass is up to you.
Prodeus rolls out to Xbox, PlayStation and PC today. It’ll follow on Nintendo Switch soon.
Prodeus is a first-person shooter of old, re-imagined using modern rendering techniques. It reaches the quality you expect from a AAA experience while adhering to some of the aesthetic technical limits of older hardware. The game features a hand-crafted campaign from industry FPS veterans, a fully-integrated level editor, and a built-in community map browser for instantaneous action with nearly limitless levels to play. Get ready to paint the walls red. This is the Boomer Shooter you’ve been waiting for.