News That Matters

Tag: Cecelia Smith-Schoenwalder

CDC: 72% of Americans Should Be Masking or Considering the Mitigation Measure | Health News
News

CDC: 72% of Americans Should Be Masking or Considering the Mitigation Measure | Health News

The number of Americans who should be masking while indoors in public is on the decline, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.According to the CDC’s COVID-19 community levels, nearly 24% of the population should be masking while indoors. Almost 48% of the U.S. should consider masking while inside public spaces based on their risk for severe COVID-19.The total percentage of people who should be masking or considering the measure – close to 72% of the U.S. population – has been declining for weeks. Last week, the number was 78%, while the week before that it was 82%.The declining percentages come as new COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations are also decreasing, suggesting that the latest coronavirus wave in the U.S. has peaked. The U.S. is averaging abo...
California Approves Ban of New Gas-Powered Car Sales by 2035 | National News
News

California Approves Ban of New Gas-Powered Car Sales by 2035 | National News

The California Air Resources Board on Thursday overwhelmingly approved a ban on the sale of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035 in a push for the state’s transition to electric vehicles.“This is the most important and most transformative action that [the California Air Resources Board] has ever taken,” board member Daniel Sperling said at the meeting.The resolution creates strict deadlines that will help meet an executive order from California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom that ordered the phase-out of new gasoline-powered cars and passenger truck sales by 2035.The Week in Cartoons Aug. 22-26Starting in 2026, the rule requires that 35% of new passenger vehicles sold produce zero emissions. That number climbs to 68% in 2030 and 100% in 2035. The rule doesn't impact used car sales.The policy...