Tuesday’s outing was part of the Gavitt Games Tip-Off series, which features matchups between the BIG EAST and Big Ten conferences. In its seventh season, this year’s edition includes eight games between Nov. 14-18.
Sophomore forward David Joplin led the way with 21 points and guard Kam Jones chipped in 19 for the Golden Eagles. All of Joplin’s points came in the second half.
Marquette led by as many as nine points midway through the second half, but an extended cold streak at the offensive end allowed Purdue to rally for the victory. MU shot just 38 percent from the floor for the game
Kam Jones helped Marquette jump out to a quick start, netting 10 points early in the first half as MU jumped out to a 13-7 advantage. Marquette led 34-32 at the intermission, despite shooting just 37.1 percent from the floor and 27.8 percent from long distance. Jones accounted for four of the team’s five treys in the opening 20 minutes
- Marquette is now 2-4 all-time in the Gavitt Tipoff Games, and 1-10 against Purdue
- Kam Jones has reached double figures in two games this season after just seven in 2021-22. He matched his career high with 19 points (2/16/22 vs. Georgetown)
- Jones, who went to the free throw line just 18 times in 2021-22, made his first trip this season early in first half
- Guard Tyler Kolek, who leads the BIG EAST in assists, finished with 11 helpers (tied career high for second-straight game) Tuesday night. He now has at least five assists in 27-of-35 appearances
- Forward Oso Ighodaro finished with a career-high five assists
- David Joplin grabbed a career-best nine rebounds
Marquette returns home to host LIU on Thursday, Nov. 17 at 7:30 p.m. CT from Fiserv Forum on FS2.
Keep up with the Marquette men’s basketball program through social media by following on Twitter (@MarquetteMBB) and Instagram (@marquette.basketball) and ‘liking’ on Facebook (/MarquetteMensBB). Fans interested in tickets can contact the Marquette Ticket Office online or at 414-288-GOMU (4668).