News That Matters

Kelowna apartment building damaged from stovetop fire – Okanagan


An apartment building on Kelowna’s Ethel Street incurred some damaged Monday morning in what officials say was an accidentally sparked fire.

The fire started around 10:30 a.m. on the stovetop of a unit on the first floor of the four-storey building. The sprinkler system kicked in and knocked it down, Kelowna Fire Department said in a press release.

Firefighters followed up and made sure it was completely out, while occupants of the building evacuated. There were no injuries.


Click to play video: 'Close call for a Kelowna man injured in fire highlights importance of smoke detectors in bedrooms'







Close call for a Kelowna man injured in fire highlights importance of smoke detectors in bedrooms


Close call for a Kelowna man injured in fire highlights importance of smoke detectors in bedrooms – May 31, 2022

“There was no one home in the apartment at the time of the fire,” the fire department said in a press release. “The fire was accidental in nature.”

Story continues below advertisement

There was fire and water damage in the apartment unit the fire started in and some water damage to the first floor.


Click to play video: 'A retired firefighter calling for more resources for local fire department'







A retired firefighter calling for more resources for local fire department


A retired firefighter calling for more resources for local fire department – Apr 7, 2022

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link