Does Car Insurance Cover Break Ins?

It is a legal requirement for many drivers in the UK to have car insurance. However, some people wonder just what is covered by a policy and whether it does anything to protect them in the event of an accident. Break ins are one area that insurers will specifically address. Insurance policies can only be used to repair a vehicle in the event of an accident. It is important to understand exactly what this means.


If you were to drive on a public road, you would expect your vehicle to be insured against damages caused to another vehicle. This would cover your vehicle in the event of a collision. However, this is not the case. When you take out insurance, you are buying a guarantee to cover costs associated with repairs to your vehicle. Insurance does not cover damages caused to your vehicle due to vandalism or theft. The contents of your vehicle are also not covered by standard insurance.


Car insurance will not normally cover you for damages that occur as a result of a fire or theft. Therefore, if your vehicle is stolen, broken into or damaged by fire, this is coverage that would be provided by the insurance company. Fire and theft coverage will normally be added to your policy when you take out comprehensive car insurance. Your auto insurance provider will tell you what all is covered under each policy.


Contents coverage will vary between providers. This means that some may provide you with a full package which covers everything from your car to the roadside help you receive if you breakdown. Other policies will only cover the essential items in your car. This will normally include a laptop, mobile phone and fuel if you require them.


There are different levels of car insurance cover that can be added to your policy. It is important to bear in mind the level of cover you require before shopping around. Some policies will offer a discount if you have more than one car insurance policy. You may also qualify for a low-cost car insurance deal if you buy a new or used vehicle. These low cost deals are sometimes available from your current car insurance provider.


In the event of your vehicle being involved in an accident that is your fault you could be eligible for compensation. This might depend on the type of accident and whether or not you have any insurance cover for this type of occurrence. Accidents are usually the cause of insurance claims. In the majority of cases claims will be paid by the other driver. You will have to take this into account when looking for a policy.


Break ins can also be covered by your policy. The amount you will be reimbursed for damage to your vehicle will depend on the terms and conditions of your policy. If you have made modifications to your vehicle before taking it out on the road you will be entitled to discounted premiums. This is because you are considered as a new owner. Any modifications to your policy will also increase the cost of your policy.


When it comes to your possessions, especially your car, does the car insurance cover break ins? Your policy should cover all forms of valuables, including a mobile phone. However, a limited amount of cover will be provided in the case of theft or damage to your vehicle. To be certain your possessions are fully covered, you should always check with the insurer. Although it may seem sensible to opt for a higher level of cover up front, you could find that after an accident your possessions are inadequately covered and you could have to spend hundreds of pounds on their repair.