Child playing with lighter ignites structure fire in Racine area; one person burned | Local News

South Shore Fire Department

The South Coast Fire Department reacted to a structure fire in the 2000 block of Howe Street on Tuesday night.

Dee Hölzel

MOUNT ENJOYABLE — A kid playing with a lighter sparked a fire that hurt someone and triggered about $40,000 in damages.

The South Coast Fire Department reacted to the 2000 block of Howe Street at about 8:05 p.m. Tuesday on the report of a structure fire.

Upon arrival, firemens situated the fire in an upstairs bed room. It took about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.

Someone was dealt with and launched for small burns by the South Coast Fire Department paramedics.

SSFD was helped at the scene by the Mount Pleasant Cops Department and We Energies.

Assistance Regional Journalism

Your subscription makes our reporting possible.



According to the National Fire Defense Association, from 2014 to 2018 about 30,460 fires came from somebody playing with fire.

NFPA reported “these fires resulted in an estimated 50 deaths, 510 injuries, and $205 million in direct property damage each year.”

According to the American Red Cross, more than 50% of fires begun by kids playing with fire happen in a bed room and bed linen is the very first product sparked.

The Red Cross suggests keeping cigarette lighters and matches saved where kids cannot access them.

Furthermore, moms and dads and caretakers need to talk with kids about the value of alerting an adult if matches or a lighter is discovered.

Jobber Wiki author Frank Long contributed to this report.