Broken Wheat Dalia, Savory Wheat Porridge
Brotherken Wheat Dalia is a mouthwatering porridge made with split or broken wheat, loads of veggies, and couple of spices. This porridge would make a healthy and filling breakfast and would be a fantastic option to begin the day.
Breakfast is the most crucial meal of the day and we are constantly informed to have breakfast like KING. Now I make certain ka king wouldn’t be having porridge for breakfast however let me inform you that this damaged wheat dalia is one healthy and yummy breakfast that you need to think about beginning the day with.
What is Dalia?
Dalia or Daliya is split or broken wheat made by coarsely milling or grinding entire wheat grains. It consists of all the important nutrients like carbohydrates, magnesium, iron, protein, salt, calcium, and potassium. If you are trying to find a fiber-rich breakfast then damaged wheat dalia is the very best choice.
Now you can make it either sweet or tasty like this dish which is packed with veggies.
Damaged Wheat Dalia
Broken wheat dalia is made with loads of veggies and a couple of very little spices. Now I like making it in ghee however if you are trying to find vegan alternatives you can make this tasty dalia in oil too.
I love adding seasonal vegetables to my breakfast dalia such as carrots, beans, peas, and bell peppers. However, you can add any vegetable of your choice or totally skip adding them too.
The addition of vegetables make sit more healthy, inviting and filling as well. Once you have this dalia for breakfast you will be feeling satiated until late lunchtime.
Ingredients Needed for Broken Wheat Dalia
- Broken Wheat: Whole broken or cracked wheat granules.
- Vegetables: Peas, beans,carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes and onion along with green chilli.
- Spices: Minimal spices like turmeic, coriander, salt, cumin and red chilli powder.
- Ghee: The porridge tastes just amazing in ghee however if you want you can make it in oil as well.
How to make Broken Wheat Dalia
Wash and soak broken wheat in 1 cup of water for 10 minutes.
Heat a pressure cooker and add ghee and cumin seed. Let the seeds splutter and then add ginger and garlic. Keep the flame low while roasting.
Add onions and saute until they are soft. Now add green chilies, tomatoes, beans, carrots, bell peppers, and peas.
Stir for a minute and then add salt, coriander powder turmeric powder, and chilli powder. Stir and add soaked broken wheat. Mix well and add the remaining water.
Cook for 3 whistles and let the steam escape before opening the lid. Serve warm drizzled with more ghee and tea.
Serving Suggestions and Storage
Serve dalia drizzled with ghee and a cup of tea. There you don’t need anything else with it. However, you can also pair it with a bowl of plain yogurt to balance the spices. I sometimes serve it with pickles and chutneys as well.
Store the leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat them before consuming them again. I haven’t tried freezing it but I guess it should be ok to freeze. However, I would suggest making it fresh as it really doesn’t take that much time.
- Make sure to use freshly packed broken wheat as the older it gets the bad would be the taste.
- If you forget to soak the broken wheat you can still make it. Make sure to cook it for 1-2 more whistles.
- If you are using a pot to cook the dalia then do make sure to soak it before hand so it won’t take too much time in cooking.
- Instead of broken wheat you can also use bulgar wheat to make thisporridge.
- You can also add some dal like split moong dal and then it would become dalia khichdi.
Like Broken Wheat Dalia, try these recipes…
Looking for more such yummy recipes to get some ideas for your snacking? Do not miss my Urad Dal Khichdi and Ram Khichdi and the best ones’ Chinese Rice Porridge.
*If you ever try this recipe don’t forget to share your photos with me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or tag me on Instagram @cookingwithsapana using the hashtag #cookingwithsapana and stay connected* I would love to see your creations from my space!!
Broken Wheat Dalia
Broken Wheat Dalia is a tasty porridge made with craked or broken what, loads of veggies, and few spices. This porridge would make a healthy and filling breakfast and would be a wonderful choice to start the day.
- 1 cup broken wheat
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/4 cup green beans chopped
- 1/2 cup bell peppers chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 green chillies chopped
- Few coriander leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 3 cups water
Wash and soak broken wheat in 1 cup water for 10 minutes.
Heat a pressure cooker and include ghee and cumin seed.
Let the seeds splutter and than include ginger and garlic. Keep the flame low while roasting.
Add onions and saute up until they are soft.
Now add green chillies , tomatoes,beans , bell peppers and peas.
Stir for a minute and then add salt , coriander power turmeric powder and chilli powder.
Stir and add soaked damaged wheat . Mix well and add the remaining water.
Cook for 3 whistle and let the steam escape before opening the lid.
Serve warm drizzled with more ghee and tea.
- Make sure to use freshly packed damaged wheat as the older it gets the bad would be the taste.
- If you forget to soak the damaged wheat you can still make it. Make sure to cook it for 1-2 more whistles.
- If you are using a pot to cook the dalia then do make sure to soak it beforehand so it won’t take too much time in cooking.
Serving: 1bowlCalories: 204kcalCarbohydrates: 30.9gProtein: 5.5gFat: 7.1gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 61mgPotassium: 231mgFiber: 6.1gSugar: 3.9gCalcium: 34mgIron: 1mg
This post was originally posted in 2013, since then I have updated the pictures and content for better engagement.
Always let me know how this recipe turned out in the comments below. I will be so excited to hear how you served your Broken Wheat Dalia and please do share your tips and tricks with me.
Don’t forget that you can likewise discover me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Pinterest.
Jobber Wiki author Frank Long contributed to this report.