Berryhill family loses everything in house fire

BERRYHILL, Okla. — A Berryhill household is attempting to return on their feet after losing whatever in a home fire.

“It’s not something you ever do expect to happen,” Julia said. “It actually feels really surreal. I think we’re still in shock.”

Julia and Jacob moved into their rental house simply a couple of weeks earlier, right prior to Christmas.

“That was like my little dream house in Berryhill,” Julia said. “And I’m just so glad we got to spend a Christmas there because it was a beautiful Christmas, but man I wasn’t ready to leave it.”

It was their last Christmas in the house. Jacob was setting up racks around 10:30 Thursday night when he discovered a burning odor and believed the clothes dryer was broken.

“I opened the garage door and it wasn’t the dryer,” Jacob said. “The garage was on fire.”

Jacob had the ability to get himself, their boy and their pet dog out. Julia was not house at the time. Unfortunately, their feline passed away in the fire.

Jacob stated the fire department thinks an electrical problem in the garage triggered it. The garage had actually been holding a lot of their ownerships as they dealt with relocating.

“Walking through the house today it looked like an apocalyptic scene and it was just so sad, like, there’s nothing left,” Julia said. “Everything is demolished.”

The Clary’s are not alone in their loss.

The American Red Cross of Oklahoma stated, just one week into 2022, it has actually currently reacted to 50 home fires. At the existing rate, the Red Cross stated it might see fire reaction in the state boost 60 percent this year.

“We have more people at home breaking out the space heaters, turning on those fireplaces for the first time, just trying to get warm,” said Linda Medford, preparedness programs manager for the American Red Cross of Oklahoma. “They’re plugging things into electrical cords, or extension cords, that should not be plugged into extension cords.”

The Red Cross recommends evaluating your smoke detector and changing them if they’re ten years or older, make certain you have an escape strategy and in the kitchen area, relocation products that burn far from the range.

“Keep everything, curtains, bedding, don’t put space heaters next to the bed,” Medford said. “Three feet from the heat will help cut down on a lot of those things that catch fire.”

On The Other Hand, Jacob and Julia are beginning all over once again. If you want to assist you can contribute to a GoFundMe for them here.

The Red Cross is likewise searching for volunteers. You can discover more details here.

Remain in touch with us anytime, anywhere —

Jobber Wiki author Frank Long contributed to this report.