BELFAST, ME – Belfast Public Health Nursing Association, which has provided health care and other critical support services to the most disadvantaged and vulnerable members of the community for more than 100 years, has received a grant of $8,000 from United Midcoast Charities (UMC).
The funds will be used for operating support.
Belfast Public Health Nursing Association is a 501(c)(3) private nonprofit organization supported by Waldo County General Hospital, The City of Belfast, and through the generous donations of local agencies and community members.
Among other things, Belfast Public Health Nursing Association:
- Works with local emergency management agencies and Waldo County General Hospital to prepare for and respond to emergencies including natural or man-made disasters, bioterrorism, or disease outbreaks.
- Prevents infectious disease from spreading through education, providing treatment, holding community immunization clinics and monitoring outbreaks.
- Organizes blood drives, health screenings, blood pressure clinics and health fairs.
- Educates the community about environmental issues such as unsafe lead levels, safe drinking water and pests.
- Shares information with the community about a variety of health topics like obesity risks, nutrition, importance of stress reduction and exercise, and healthy lifestyle choices.
- Works with schools on issues surrounding food insecurity and oral health care.
- Links people to needed health services and assures the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable. All services are provided at no cost.
UMC’s open, competitive annual grants process supports nonprofit agencies in Knox and Waldo counties working in the areas of food, housing, health & safety, and economic security. Every dollar donated to UMC is applied to its grant program. In addition, UMC offers educational programs and other learning resources for all local nonprofits, including those who do not receive funding.
Waldo County General Hospital
Waldo County General Hospital is part of MaineHealth, a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and more than 1,600 employed and independent physicians working together through an Accountable Care Organization. With more than 19,000 employees, MaineHealth is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire. For more information, please visit wcgh.org.